|Job Title||Web and Social Media Specialist|
|Full Time/Part Time||Full-Time|
|Salary Information||Salary Commensurate with Experience and Qualifications|
|Work Schedule||Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., with occasional evenings or weekend work to deal with emerging issues and meet deadlines.|
|Eligible for Overtime||No|
|Position Summary||The web and social media specialist serves as the primary staff member responsible for establishing, monitoring and maintaining Rice’s social media platforms and Rice.edu presence. The position produces, edits, updates and posts online university content in a content management system, various social media outlets and other systems in a timely manner with minimal supervision. The position also assembles metrics, identifies trends, recommends responses and devises social media plans to address assigned topics. The web and social media specialist works with the internal creative teams to develop tools to support social media initiatives in the Office of Public Affairs.|
|Education Required||Bachelor’s Degree|
|Concentration / Degree Type||English, communications, or marketing.|
|Substitution for Education Requirement||May substitute additional two years of related experience, above and beyond what is required in lieu of the education requirement.|
|Experience Required||3 years|
|Type of Experience||Professional experience in a social media position working with marketing, communications, and web teams.|
|Substitution for Experience Requirement||Education may not be substituted for the experience requirement.|
|Experience Preferred||• Online content creator and management.
• Paid social media experience.
|License/Certification Required||Not specified.|
|Skills Required||• Proven knowledge of social media platforms and optimization as well as the web production process.
• Proven social media experience at an organization or agency.
• Experience using applications such as Dreamweaver and Adobe Creative (including PhotoShop).
• Strong HTML skills.
• Knowledge of Associated Press style.
• Strong communication and writing skills.
• Social media analytics and data tracking.
|Skills Preferred||• Content management software experience.
• Experience with design.
• Basic HTML hand coding as well as current Web standards, HTML5 and CSS.
• Knowledge of site architecture.
|Internal / External Contacts||Very frequent contact with all levels of Rice University administration, faculty, students and staff. Will have access to sensitive and confidential information.|
|Physical Demands||Normal office environment on Rice campus.|
|Working Conditions||Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., with occasional evenings or weekend work to deal with emerging issues and meet deadlines.|
|Special Instructions to Applicants||Applicants are required to submit a cover letter, resume and portfolio of previous work. Please save as one PDF file and attach under “other” document section of the application materials.|
|Quick Link for Posting||http://jobs.rice.edu/postings/14378|
|Job Duty Name||Essential Functions|
|Description of Job Duty||• Social media presence-
Serves as the primary staff member responsible for establishing, monitoring and maintaining Rice’s Social media presence.
a. Creates and implements social media plans.
b. Initiates and participates in online conversations.
c. Identifies high priority conversations and makes recommendations on how to address these issues.• Metrics, trends and social media plans-
Gathers and monitors metrics, identifies trends and devises social media plans to address assigned topics. Reports on and manages the varied social media venues in real time, utilizing tools such as Radian 6 and Hootsuite as well as native platforms and new and emerging technologies. This position will keep the Public Affairs team informed of trending topics by gathering metrics that concern the university. Demonstrates quantifiable results in all aspects of the social media presence. Measures the success of social media campaigns and recommends revisions to social media strategies and plans for the future.• Online content management-
Produces, edits, updates and posts online university content in a content management system, various social media outlets and other systems in a timely manner with minimal supervision. This entails using applications such as Adobe, Dreamweaver, Adobe Photoshop and some basic HTML hand coding as well as current Web standards, HTML5 and CSS.• Communications service team-
Works as a part of the Communications Services team to ensure the university’s and department’s goals are met. This includes participating in weekly meetings, contributing follow up information on the status of different projects being worked on, and presenting results on an ongoing basis. Remains current on and shares information on emerging trends and technologies related to Web development and design.
|Percentage of Time||100|
- Cover Letter
- Other Document
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a bachelor’s degree or higher in English, communications or marketing? Please note you may also substitute an additional two years of related experience, above and beyond what is required in lieu of the education requirement (e.g. – high diploma and five years of the required experience).
- * Do you have three or more years of experience in a social media position working with marketing, communications and web teams?
- * Do you have experience using applications such as Dreamweaver and Adobe Creative (including PhotoShop)?(Open Ended Question)
- * How would you rate your HTML skills?(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have knowledge of Associated Press style?(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have experience with social media analytics and data tracking?(Open Ended Question)
- * Please provide the salary or range that you would require or consider for this position.(Open Ended Question)
To apply for this job please visit jobs.rice.edu.
Note to All Applicants:
Please include this sentence “I’m a potential candidate applying from jobs.visualcontenting.com” in your application to your desired job.
Remember to send a copy of your application to our email at email@example.com so that we can help you in any case necessary. Please specify in your email the Job Title and Job Link on our site.