The New York Times is looking for a social media editor with experience in journalism, social media strategy and co-producing projects that involve crowdsourcing, social media reporting and research and user-generated content (UGC).
You will establish a vision for shaping and targeting our journalism for different platforms, and you will be responsible for understanding and developing new strategies, tools and workflows as those platforms evolve. This means you’ll be building our presence on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, chat apps and emerging platforms. Engaging our readers, monitoring on-site and off-platform conversations for story ideas and integrating readers’ contributions into our daily and enterprise report is essential.
You will also work with reporters and editors across the newsroom in how social media and readers’ voices can inform our journalism, both pre and post publishing.
- Leading The Times’s main presence on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram: providing coverage of breaking news and live events, conceiving and executing innovative social plans for enterprise projects and engaging readers in UGC projects
- Developing and refining the voice of The Times on all of our off-platform channels, exhibiting excellent news judgment and audience-sensitive framing
- Building creative social native content (e.g. Instagram stories)
- Suggesting story ideas, and partnering with desks across the newsroom to produce stories that:
- Anticipate readers’ prospective social and search needs sparked by a Times exclusive or a news event
- Respond to readers’ real-time social and search needs
- Benefit from crowdsourcing or UGC approach
- Developing testing strategies around medium (images, video) and message (headline, social share text), to inform a constantly updating set of best practices for engaging off-platform audiences (Social, Search, etc.)
- Partner with editors across newsdesk to workshop on-platform framing of articles that leverages off-platform performance and readers’ interest
- Interpreting data and signals to know what pieces are the right fit for what audiences both on and off our platforms
- Tracking success through engagement rates, growth statistics, reader responses and other metrics
- Working with journalists in the newsroom on best social media practices, including framing pieces for specific audiences
- 3+ years of experience in social media or digital journalism
- Deep understanding of all mainstream and some emerging social channels
- Consistent record running Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for major media outlets
- Demonstrated interest in visual storytelling
- A passion for news and a dedication to The Times and its journalistic mission
- Skill at bridging specialties, including reporting, editing, product, analytics, design and user research
- Strong writing and editing skills, and knowledge of Times style or the ability to absorb and apply it quickly
This is an excluded position.
If you are an active employee at The New York Times or any affiliates, please do not apply here. Go to the Career Worklet on your Workday home page and View “Find Internal Jobs”. Thank you!
The New York Times Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, age, race, color, creed, national origin, alienage, religion, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation or affectional preference, gender identity and expression, disability, genetic trait or predisposition, carrier status, citizenship, veteran or military status and other personal characteristics protected by law. All applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to legally protected characteristics.
Help shape the future of The New York Times
This is an important moment to work at The Times. Across the organization, we’re taking advantage of the changing media landscape to pioneer a new era of journalism. With high-quality, original reporting at our core, we’re thinking more creatively about our reader relationships and how to deliver new and relevant offerings and experiences. We’re telling stories differently and playing with emerging formats like 360 video and VR. And we’re building a diverse and collaborative culture that can keep up with the rigors of the modern-day news cycle.
Home to world-class talent
To create journalism and supporting products that stand apart, we must recruit the finest talent in the world. Journalists, data designers, videographers, agile marketers, art directors, and many others, we’re looking for people at all stages of their careers to bring different perspectives and practices to our teams. Together, we can make our journalism more insightful, meaningful and essential to the daily lives and understanding of people around the world.
If you see a job opening here that might be a good fit for you, we encourage you to apply. We offer a comprehensive and competitive benefits package that includes medical, dental and vision plans for employees and their families, health and wellness programs, a 401(k) plan, tuition reimbursement, paid vacation, paid parental leave and much more.
To apply for this job please visit nytimes.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com.
Note to All Applicants:
Please include this sentence “I’m a potential candidate applying from jobs.visualcontenting.com” in your application to your desired job.
Remember to send a copy of your application to our email at email@example.com so that we can help you in any case necessary. Please specify in your email the Job Title and Job Link on our site.