The Media Relations and Communications Specialist works under the direction of the Director of Marketing and Communication on WAMU’s external and internal corporate positioning. They will develop media relations and communications strategies to raise the prominence of the station within the region and nationally, in addition to writing all copy for press releases, media advisories, newsletters, programs, speeches, annual reports and other deliverables for print, electronic, digital, social and on-air platforms. They will contribute to the development of key messaging by audience segment and ensure those messages are integrated and updated across all communications.
- This position reports directly to the Director of Marketing and Communications and works closely with other members of the Marketing and Engagement Department and key stakeholders in the Content, Development and Membership Departments.
- The Specialist exhibits strong expertise in understanding how to write nuanced and compelling copy for target audiences and optimized for specific platforms, including writing persuasive, informative, and compelling copy; writing for the Web and social platforms; assisting in development of fundraising appeals; and utilizing effective storytelling as a tool to build engagement and loyalty.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- At least 3 (three) years demonstrated experience in media relations, public affairs, communications, marketing or related fields
- Strong writing, editing, and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated experience utilizing various writing styles
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Must be creative, detail-oriented, organized, and capable of multi-tasking many projects often on tight deadlines
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Attendance at occasional evening and weekend events required
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log into AsuccessfulU through the myAU portal. Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email AsuccessfulU@american.edu.
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively “Protected Bases”) in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
To apply for this job please visit careers.american.edu.
Note to All Applicants:
Please include this sentence “I’m a potential candidate applying from jobs.visualcontenting.com” in your application to your desired job.
Remember to send a copy of your application to our email at firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can help you in any case necessary. Please specify in your email the Job Title and Job Link on our site.