Military.com, a Monster company, is looking to hire a News Writer/Editor to join its editorial team in Washington, D.C. You’ll play a key role in writing original content for one of the largest websites serving the military and defense communities. Help us cover the White House, Congress, Pentagon, military services and defense industry. You’ll write about issues that affect millions of men and women in uniform, their families and retirees, and veterans of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan and other conflicts. You’ll also write about emerging defense technology and competitions between aerospace and defense firms. You’ll have the chance to participate in weekly editorial meetings, travel on assignment in the U.S. and overseas, and file a range of unique content, from short blogs posts to long-form feature stories, from slideshows to multimedia videos. You’ll also oversee our vertical on defense acquisitions and procurement news, known as DoD Buzz. The blog typically publishes multiple items per day on subjects that make it a leader among defense trade publications, both digital and print. DoD Buzz content must be essential to defense firms, government employees (civil service and active-duty military) involved in procurement and requirements, congressional lawmakers and staff members who serve defense committees, as well as military aficionados. Coverage choices should be made with an eye toward hot topics in the news and items that have the potential to be widely shared on social media.
- File at least two blog entries of at least 150 words per day and at least five news stories or feature stories of at least 750 words per week.
- Pitch and shape coverage ideas in weekly editorial meetings with staff
- Edit blog posts, news stories or feature articles from colleagues or contributors
- Promote original content on social media sites such as Twitter and Facebook
- Help publish original and wire content to the website and/or in external company newsletters
- Coordinate with colleagues to ensure consistent focus, direction and optimization of content
- Generate and moderate content contributed to the website by external sources
- Three to five years of experience working for a website, daily newspaper or other news organization (candidates with a similar level of publication relations, marketing or similar professional experience may also apply)
- Demonstrated knowledge of AP style and journalism fundamentals, including strong writing, editing and proofreading skills
- Ability to work in a fast-pace environment on deadline
- Experience in writing for the web, content management and Internet research
- Experience with HTML, CSS, and working with content management systems (CMS)
- Experience using web analytics tools
- Knowledge about best practices in writing for the web, social media trends, web usability, web design, and business/industry trends
Is relocation available?
To apply for this job please visit monsterhires.mua.hrdepartment.com.
Note to All Applicants:
Please include this sentence “I’m a potential candidate applying from jobs.visualcontenting.com” in your application to your desired job.
Remember to send a copy of your application to our email at email@example.com so that we can help you in any case necessary. Please specify in your email the Job Title and Job Link on our site.