at Stack Overflow
Anywhere (Remote or In-Office)
At its core, Stack Overflow is made up of the communities who create the content on our sites and help solve each others problems. From our flagship technical site to our more niche communities for chefs and hikers and worldbuilders, our communities really are what were all about. If they are healthy and they grow, so do we.
Our community managers are the primary caretakers of those communities. They support and nurture existing communities, learn what those communities need in order to grow and thrive, and identify what new policies and features will help our network get stronger.
What you’ll do:
- Help invent new (and refine existing) ways to build communities, turning site-by-site learning into holistic, network-wide processes
- Mentor communities built around topics ranging from math to cooking (many will be foreign to you)
- Review community activities and answer technical, interpersonal, and/or moderation-based questions
- Mediate conflicts between parties who might never agree with one another, but who share the common goal of building informative Q&A communities
- Handle escalated moderator and user issues that arise on the sites
- Identify and develop leaders and evangelists in communities who can help their sites flourish, and mentor those users so sites need you less
- Research the factors that drive site success in order to understand whats needed to help sites grow
- Write blog and meta posts to help communicate our goals and the reasoning behind changes and features
- Analyze the rules and policies that drive our community-building engine and work with developers and product managers to ensure the software supports those policies
- Identify ways to automate and streamline processes related to community support, moderation, and monitoring site health
What you’ll need to have:
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required. Proficiency in written Japanese, Russian, Portuguese, or Spanish would be a plus
- An active Stack Overflow or Stack Exchange profile is nice, but what were really looking for is meaningful experience building any kind of online community – it does not need to be on Stack Exchange sites
- Self-motivated, with ability to get stuff done with little supervision yes, everyone says that, but its crucial for distributed, evolving teams
- Enthusiastic, energetic, outgoing and positive (even in the face of hostility or negativity)
- Extremely strong communication skills, with the ability to write clearly and compellingly on both self-identified and assigned topics
- Mastery of diplomacy and persuasion skills (with a little amateur behavioral psychology thrown in for good measure)
- Ability to express disagreement clearly while making sure to engage in interpersonal conflict safely and respectfully
- Some aptitude and interest in areas such as psychology, political science, economics, sociology, or the humanities in general
- Comfort with analytics and process community management can be hands-on and touchy-feely, but we need our model to scale, too
What youll get in return:
- Competitive base salary
- Stock options
- 20 days paid vacation
- Generous parental and family leave policies
- Completely free health insurance (no copay, no premiums)
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Extremely flexible flextime – well design your work schedule around your life
- If youre in one of our offices, youll get an espresso bar, games, free daily lunches, and transportation reimbursement
- If you work remotely, you can opt for either the same furniture as your in-office colleagues and a monthly home office reimbursement; or a monthly reimbursement for a co-working space
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Exchange, Inc. does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.
To apply for this job please visit stackoverflow.com.
Note to All Applicants:
Please include this sentence “I’m a potential candidate applying from jobs.visualcontenting.com” in your application to your desired job.
Remember to send a copy of your application to our email at firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can help you in any case necessary. Please specify in your email the Job Title and Job Link on our site.